Today, the Office for Statistics Regulation (OSR) is delighted to confirm National Statistics status for the first release of headline estimates from the Census on population and household statistics for Northern Ireland.
These statistics are produced by the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA), who have been very impressive in responding to the requirements of our assessment.
During this assessment, OSR identified best practice by NISRA, including:
- Adaptation and enhancement of census processes and improvements to planned activities;
- Introduction of a new expert quality assurance panel, to advise on and assess the quality of census data;
- Good engagement and consultation with census data users; and
- Strong collaborative working with other Census offices.
Ed Humpherson, Director General for Regulation said:
“The Census is one of the most important sources of data and statistics, informing decisions about almost every aspect of life. During OSR’s assessment the NISRA team have showed commitment to ensure high quality, development of great operational delivery and flexibility to meet a wide variety of user needs.
“The amount of work undertaken by the NISRA team to reach this point is impressive and I am very pleased to see these important estimates being released.”
Siobhan Carey, Registrar General and Chief Executive, NISRA said:
“I am delighted that the OSR have recognised the work done by NISRA to ensure the Census taken in Northern Ireland in March 2021 meets the rigorous requirements of the National Statistics designation. This designation reassures users of the trustworthiness, quality and value of the information provided by the census. We are indebted to the people of Northern Ireland for the positive and engaging way in which they responded to the invitation to take part in the census.”
To be designated as National Statistics, the OSR must assess and judge that the official statistics comply with the Code of Practice for Statistics. That means the statistics meet the highest standards of trustworthiness, quality and value.
- NISRA’s headline population and household statistics for Northern Ireland statistics
- Ed Humpherson to David Marshall (NISRA): Confirmation of National Statistics designation for 2021 Census in Northern Ireland
- Assessment of compliance with the Code of Practice for Statistics – 2021 Census in Northern Ireland