This is one of a series of reports prepared under the provisions of the Statistics and Registration Service Act 2007 . The Act gives the Statistics Authority power to re-assess whether the Code of Practice for Official Statistics continues to be complied with in relation to official statistics already designated as National Statistics. The report covers the following population estimates and projections (population) statistics produced by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) for the UK and its constituent countries and reported in:
• Annual Mid-year Population Estimates (Mid-year Population Estimates)
• Super Output Area population estimates and their aggregation into Clinical Commissioning Group population estimates which are included in Annual Small Area Population Estimates (SAPE) (SOA estimates)
• Estimates of the Very Old (including Centenarians) for England and Wales, United Kingdom (Population Estimates of the Very Old)
• Population estimates by marital status and living arrangements (Marital Status Estimates)
• National Population Projections
• Sub-national Population Projections
This report forms part of a broader assessment of sets of population statistics across the UK that are produced by the Office for National Statistics (ONS); the Welsh Government; National Records of Scotland (NRS) and the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA). Assessment reports 310, 311 and 312 examine the population statistics for Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland respectively.
The previous assessment of these sets of statistics was included in Assessment report 103. They are among the UK’s most prominent National Statistics and are being re-assessed because they are an important input to national and local planning activity and to a large number of economic and social statistics.
This report was prepared by the Authority’s Assessment team, and approved by the Regulation Committee on behalf of the Board of the Statistics Authority, based on the advice of the Director General for Regulation.